Monday, June 24, 2013

My First Steps.... And a Laundry Detergent Recipe!


My first venture into the world of eco-friendliness was making my own laundry soap (after deciding to cloth diaper, but that's a whole 'nother beast entirely!). Since I'm lazy, I wanted a detergent that was safe for the diapers as well as efficient enough to handle whatever finds its way onto the boys' clothes (I don't even bother trying to identify it anymore). 

I soon realized that the lovely mineral-rich water here in the Southwest would narrow my search even further (yay! .... not.). After a gaggle of google searches, some math-whiz conversions by yours truly, and a little trial and error, I present to you... (cue harps and singing angels)... My laundry detergent!

This recipe was adapted from one I found here at Ecocrazy Mom. Of course, I didn't want to make a bucket full so I used my Mighty Math Powers to scale this down to fit into the canister I had on hand (which happened to be a Gatorade container). This soap has worked very well for us on everything we put into the washer and rinses away with just a hint of lavender scent. 

If you'd like your clothes to smell all fancy you can add something like Purex Crystals to the washer as per their directions. I, however, think that defeats the purpose of making your own detergent to begin with and opt for essential oil-infused felt wool dryer balls. I'll post a tutorial on how to make those one of these days. 





Laundry Soap Ingredients:


  • 1 1/2 Cups Baking Soda  (water softener, detergent booster, deodorizer, and brightener)
  • 2 1/2 Cups OxiClean Versatile Free (better stain removing power, detergent booster)
  • 1 3/4 Cups Borax (water softener, brightener, deodorizer, disinfectant, removes soap residue, detergent booster)
  • 1 Cup Washing Soda (very effective water softener, degreaser, brightener)
  • 1/2 Bar Dr. Bronner's (veggie-based all natural soap-- this is what does the cleaning)
  • 3-5 drops Tea Tree Oil (anti-bacterial, antiseptic, anti-fungal)
  • 3-5 Drops Lavendar Oil (anti-bacterial, and smells amazing in my opinion)


You'll also need a food processor (
or you can do it the way I do with a cheese grater and a blender) and a mixing bowl and fork.



Instructions:






Grate your soap and pulse into a powder. You can do this with a cheese grater and blender or with your food processor attachments. 

You DEFINITELY want to powder your soap. I skipped this once and it made for a very uneven mixture. The soap also didn't dissolve very well in the wash.

I used 1/2 bar of Lavender soap for this, but sometimes I use 1/4 bar Lavender and Tea Tree Oil depending on how I feel. You can use any scent you like. 









Pour the Dr. Bronner's into a bowl, stir in the remainder of your dry ingredients and mix well. 








Add your essential oils and mix well. I use a fork to break up the little clumps that form where I drop the oils.

This is optional, but I love the disinfecting properties of tea tree oil and I love the smell of lavender oil.

You can use lemon oil if you need extra de-greasing power or any scent you like, really. I try to use complimenting scents in my soap and essential oils. 







Store in a sealed container of your choosing. I just happen to have an empty Gatorade container on hand, so that's what we use. Not as cute as some other blogs, I know.... But we manage ;) 



To Use:
  • In an HE top-loading I use 2 tablespoons for our regular laundry. 
  • For cloth diapers, 1.5 tablespoon does the trick. 

  • Since this is a non-sudsing detergent, it is safe to use in your front-loading machine as well. 1.5 - 2 tablespoons for regular laundry and about 1 tablespoon for diapers. 





2 comments:

  1. I would just like to point out the toxixity of the following products I've seen mentioned on this site, I think it is very important to avoid these whenever possible, for our family's health as well as the health of the environment in which we all live. I've had great experience's with natural detergents like Planet, Ecos and Country Save, and although I have hard water I've never had to add bleach to a single diaper load. (when using a liquid detergent I always add washing soda to the load however) I've been using cloth for 3 years, use a dry pail only rinse off poop, and wash every 3 days (I have a HUGE stash). Just putting them on a wash setting that washes and rinses several times and keeps diapers saturated with water for a long time is what works for us, no need to make it so complicated.

    http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/2507-20MuleTeamBoraxNaturalLaundryBoosterMultiPurposeHouseholdCleaner

    http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/2576-CloroxBleachRegular

    http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/195-OxiCleanVersatileStainRemoverFree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input! I completely agree that bleach is bad, which is why I opt for essential oils when I can.

      Borax is a naturally occurring mineral (sodium borate) and is a type of salt (table salt's chemical name is sodium chloride-- random fact). While many consider it a poison, it is actually no more toxic than table salt, which can safely be ingested in moderation. I'm not saying we should eat Borax in copious amounts, but it's completely safe in the quantities given in my recipes. I'm glad you provided the opportunity to clarify that.

      OxiClean is one that everyone will have to make their own decision on, since there is a lot of missing and inconsistent data on the effects of its components. It is essentially sodium carbonate (washing soda) and sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate (the result of adding hydrogen peroxide to sodium carbonate). Since we aren't consuming the laundry detergent I'm completely OK with using it. If, however, you are concerned with using it you can make your own without the mystery additives by combining equal parts of washing soda and hydrogen peroxide.

      Delete